Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Frozen Fire by Tim Bolwer



Title: Frozen Fire

Author: Tim Bowler

Summary: Dusty gets a phone call from a mysterious boy who says he wants to die. He tells her to call him Josh. Josh was Dusty's brother who's dissapearance haunts her. The boy knows things that other people are thinking or feeling. Dusty hopes that he can lead her to Josh but the lynch mob in town hopes to kill him. In persuing him they will turn on her. However the boy is her only chance at getting back her family.

Thoughts: For some reason this book threw me off a bit at first. While Dusty is not a lovable heroine and hard to identify with, I think that I would have preferred it be in first person. While the book is mysterious and intrigueing, it gets off to a slow start. Sometimes the reader will have a hard time navigating through all the prose. Also for someone portrayed as so tough Dusty seems really overemotional. Her whole life hinges on her brother Josh, who as we find out isn't such a great brother at all. Though I had problems getting into it at first, I really loved the mysterious quality of the boy and the sudden plot twists. The ending is fantastic.

Rating: 4 stars

4 comments:

  1. I want to read this. I love fanastic endings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my favorite fanatastic ending lately has been Marisha's Pessl's Special Topics in Calamity Physics. It blew me away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A murder mystery! Sounds good ^_^

    ReplyDelete