Thursday, May 14, 2009

Feed by M.T. Anderson

Ttile: Feed

Author: M.T. Anderson

Summary: Titus is a regular teenager, in a world where regular people have mini-computers surgically wired into their brains. Great for reference and learning, but full of advertising, its sets intellect back. He meets a girl, Violet, and after a troubling encounter with a hacker, they decide to fight the feed.

Thoughts: This is a dystopian future novel, which of course earns it some brownie points. Major ew factor however as a few characters skin starts falling off. I found the story very interesting, and I particularly liked the pages of adverts popping up through out the book. Violet is a great character, Titus is OK (although I had trouble identifying with him), but his friends are not the nicest, as they bully Violet for making an intelligent comment. I found parts of the book very slow and clipped however the pacing was a bit slow throughout the first bit of the novel. Its also a really great statement about corperate power. Its more of an interesting book than it is a magical one.

Cover: The cover is really interesting, looking at it closely the back of Titus's head looks a bit like a fingerprint. 

Rating: 3 stars

PS: I've been out for school stuff the past while but after my class trip (for the next 5 days), I should be caught up. 

14 comments:

  1. That guys head does look like a fingerprint! Now I can't stop staring at it . . .

    It's nice to read another one of your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see your back. Great review!

    Yea, MT's writing is a little slow...but there usually is a good message behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In school, we have talked about dystopian societies for so long that I am sort of sick of the talk of it so I think I'll pass on this book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, dystopian. Haven't read a book like that, but it sounds fascinating. Cover is strange...

    ReplyDelete
  5. as a fan of dystopian lit, I thought this could have been waaay more origional than it was.
    and YAY! you're back:-D
    -AMY

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot about the skin falling off. But I really liked this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Regarding the skin falling off-- I think the worst part of dystopian novels is the gruesome or disturbing imagery that often pops up in the storyline. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Jen, can I have your email and mailing address so I can pass a book to you? Thanks! Email me at loony_balooga_91@hotmail.com

    Liyana

    ReplyDelete
  9. It does sound kinda creepy but possibly good. I've been seeing it in the library a lot, and often confusing it with Laurie Halse Anderson's books. This is giving me a good reason to pick it up for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats! You have something here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh thanks, Sadako my library has a lot of them too ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi jen - would it be okay to email some info on a book called Fade to Blue by Sean Beaudoin (Little, Brown)? kind of in the same vein as Feed. let me know! thx...

    ReplyDelete