Monday, April 20, 2009

Bloodhound by Tamora Pierce

Title: Blood Hound

Author: Tamora Pierce 

Series: Tortall Lengend / Provest's Dog

Summary: Our terrier Beka Cooper takes on a new role. This time as a Bloodhound on a hunt. She follows the scent of colemonging  (counterfeiting) to a new city (Port Caynn), with a new partner, new allies and new friends. She also has a new Rogue to contend with, one who is a lot less hospitable than her own. 

Thoughts: The diary style in this is fabulous, there are even paw prints (from Pounce) to make it look more realistic (although I don't like the cross-outs then spell-rights). Bloodhound is also excellent for details. Slang, political structure, and all other logistics are planned and detailed (with a super-handy reference guide in the back). Pierce has created an entire world, and throwing the reader into it, explains it beautifully. We can know Tortall as well as our own country.  Beka is also the idea protagonist; smart, strong, shy. Taken away from the usual cast of characters for most of the book, the new characters take an interesting turn. Beka keeps her stern-but-kind mentor however nearly everyone else mainly featured is new (even a new pet!). A charming new "friend" and a new cast of rogue drag Beka away from her usual routine as facets of her we hadn't seen before come out. However for devoted fans the usual whip back in for a very satisfying ending. 

Cover: I really like the illustration but they've stuck the blue bands across the top and bottom (under the lettering), I would have preferred it treated like the first 0ne (they cut out the pigeons). Nice colour though, and Beka lacks the demon eyes this time. I also really like the metallic sheen to the covers.

Rating: 5 stars

PS: Stop by randombuzzers.com to see Tammy answer fan questions!

Challenge:  7/26 Pierce books read

13 comments:

  1. I just finished this one myself! I was sad her eyes were closed on the cover as well.

    I did miss Rosto during most of the book . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your review! I can't wait to read this. *hintlibrary!hurryup!hint*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unrelated to Tamora Pierce, but I couldn't figure a better way to respond to your comment. The Serial Challenge does look pretty fantastic, doesn't it?! I'm excited.

    I think I'll have to try Pierce one of these days. Her books intrigue me but I've never picked one up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liv - Yeah ^_^ I missed Pounce

    Liyana - Hope you get it soon

    Cinnamon - It looks so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh! I'm excited to read this even more now. ^_^

    I was pretty sad about the cover too though. I wish they hadn't put those bands and kept it more consistent with the first Beka cover. It would've been nice to see the whole picture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle - Yeah I know what you mean! It is like that in some amazon pictures so I'm not sure what happened ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahh, another tamora peirce :-D You're going to finish the challenge for sure. Man, I really need to read her books! they just look so looooong.....If you gave it 5 stars though, I trust you.
    -amy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy - I promise next up is an MT Anderson ^_^ They're long but quick like Harry Potter,

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read any Tamora Pierce yet, and this sounds super interesting! Fabulous review.

    I've tagged you, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OOh thanks Priya! ^_^ Yay for being tagged! Liyana thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds great!

    Excellent review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi jen,
    don't know if you already know about this, but there is a tamora pierce quiz on Which Tortall Heroine Are You?

    here:
    http://www.randomhouse.com/teens/tamorapierce/index.pl

    thought you'd get a kick out of it.
    -velvet

    ReplyDelete
  13. i don't know you but i googled terrier and this came up and just have to say, we're twins... haha well that was sufficiently creepy.

    ReplyDelete